Ricotta Gnocchi - Episode 2221
Nebo restaurant owners, Carla and Christine Pallotta “play this by ear,” so you get to as well. The result is a delicate, yet firm gnocchi that holds up well with any sauce.
- Equal amounts of flour and fresh ricotta cheese (drained). Two cups each suggested
- 1 lb Broccoli Rape (for sauce)
- Two cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup Extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 pound butter
- 1/2 cup grated pecorino cheese (sprinkle over top)
- Combine flour and ricotta and shape gnocchi to preferred size.
- Break off a small piece of the dough about the size of an egg and, with floured hands, roll the chunk into a rope about 14 inches long and the width of your middle finger. Cut the rope into 1-inch pieces and roll each piece with your thumb down and off the front of the tines of a floured fork: This creates little ridges to trap the sauce. As you form the gnocchi, place them in a single layer on a floured cloth or baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- In a large pot of boiling water, cook the gnocchi, a few at a time, until they rise to the surface.
- Meanwhile parboil/steam broccoli rape until fork tender, drain, chop coarsley
- Head large skillet medium, add butter, garlic, cook two minutes, add broccoli rape, cook 1 minute, add gnocchi cook additional two minutes to heat thoroughly
- Serve immediately with grated pecorino sprinkled on top.
- Note: Uncooked gnocchi freeze well: Arrange them in a single layer on baking sheets, cover with foil, freeze until firm, and then transfer to plastic bags and freeze until needed. Boil them without thawing. My mother places frozen gnocchi directly into a baking dish, adds sauce, and bakes them, eliminating the boiling step: Bake at 350ºF for 30 to 35 minutes.
This recipe was featured on Season 22 - Episode 2221.
No comments on this recipe.