Rigatoni with Broccoli Rabe / Rigatoni con Broccoli Rabe
What could be better than a rigatoni casserole with sweet Italian sausage, broccoli rabe, and red bell peppers? This is the perfect tailgate casserole or Saturday night supper with a mixed green salad and poached pears for dessert.
- 1 pound broccoli rabe, ends trimmed
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage links
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus more as needed
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 4 garlic cloves ,minced
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- One 28-ounce cancrushed plum tomatoes
- 1 pound cooked rigatoni
- 1 cup Asiago orParmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
- Cook the broccoli rabe in a large skillet with just the water clinging to its leaves until it is wilted. Drain in a colander, let cool,then cut coarsely and transfer to an oven casserole dish at least 12 × 12 1/2inches. Set aside.
- Cook the sausage in the same skillet with 1/2 cup water until it turns gray; discard the water and brown the sausage links in its own fat; if the pan is dry, add a little olive oil. Transfer the sausage to a cutting board and cut into 1-inch pieces.Transfer the pieces to a bowl.
- Put 1 tablespoon olive oil in the skillet and cook the onion, garlic, and diced bell pepper until the mixture begins to soften. Stir in the pepper flakes. Season the mixture with salt and pepper.
- Mix the tomatoes with1/2 cup water in a bowl and add to the skillet with the onion and pepper mixture. Add th sausage pieces to the skillet. Cover the pan and cook for 20minutes over medium heat.
- Preheat the oven to350°F.
- Combine the cooked rigatoni with the broccoli rabe in the casserole dish. Carefully pour the tomato and sausage mixture over the rigatoni and combine the ingredients well. Add salt and pepper.
- Scatter the grated cheese over the top; cover and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until heated throughand piping hot.