Roast Pork Loin, Sicilian Style
SERVES 8 TO 10
- 1 1/2 tablespoons whole black peppercorns
- 1 large clove garlic, peeled
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus extra
- 1 tablespoon capers in salt, well rinsed
- 3 pound boneless pork loin, wiped dry with paper towels
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and each cut intowedges
- 1 medium fennel bulb, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1 cup white wine (We used a Fiano.)
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- In a small grinder or food processor, combine the peppercorns, garlic, oregano, capers and salt. Pulse until reduced to a powder. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and stir in the olive oil.
- Wipe the meat dry with paper towels and make 6 random deep incisions with a knife in the meat; fill each slit with 1/2 teaspoon of the olive oil mixture.
- With your hands, spread the remaining olive oil mixture evenly over the top, bottom and sides of the roast.
- Toss the potatoes, onion and fennel with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Place roast on rack in a roasting pan. Roast for 25 minutes. Add potatoes and fennel to the base of the pan, add the wine. Lower the temperature to 375°F.and continue roasting until an instant-read thermometer registers 145°F. This will take about 70 minutes.
- Transfer roast to a cutting board and allow it to stand, covered with foil, for about 10 minutes. Carve and serve with the vegetables and some of the pan juices.
This recipe was featured on Season 28 - Episode 2820.
This was the best pork roast I have ever made. So flavorful and most importantly it melted in your mouth. Thank you Mary Ann!
Looks like an interesting dish. On the show did you put garlic clives also into slits. I missed first part on preparation and saw what looked like it may be garlic. But not sure. The recipe does not say to insert anything but the ground spices into the slits plus olive oil. Thank you
Your recipe was very easy to follow and produced the most flavorful pork we have ever had. Delightful. Grazie!
Every Christmas I make Arista with my Pork Roast. I will be sure to try your version.
My grandparents were from outside of Bari.
I’m at the answer to putting garlic in the pork loin pls?
could roast be put in a brine for 24 hrs before baking ?
Another Holiday Gift Recipes❤️
Interesting recipe that I will surely try for New Year’s day. I never have thought to use fennel with Pork but I think it makes sense to combine it with pork. This will be different for me as I usually have a crown roast of -pork t start the New Year, or have butterflies a pork loin and seasoned it much the same as you do with this recipe (sans fennel), tie it up then roast it – I do the same with the potatoes and onions – and when the pork loin is sliced the spiral of herbs shows . It is beautiful and very tasty but more time consuming than your simple roast. Thank you Maryann, for sharing wonderful recipes, and here’s hoping 2021 will be an easier and healthier year for us all.
It won’t print…