Sardinian Cheese Filled Pastry /
- Cheese Filling
- 1 pound young Pecorino cheese cut in small chunks
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 Grated zest oforanges
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped mint
- 3 cups durum semolina flour
- 3 tablespoons lard or extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Water as needed (1 cup plus a little extra)
- Lite olive or peanut oil to fry
- Honey for drizzling on top
- In a medium size saucepan add the water and cheese cubes and cook until cheese is melted; off heat, stir in the zest and mint and combine well. Spread cheese on a parchment-lined non-stick baking pan; cover and refrigerate.
- Dump flour on a work surface and make a hole in the center. Add the lard or olive oil, salt and enough water to make a soft dough. Let rest covered for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Roll the dough out to a large circle and use a 3-inch round cutter to cut circles. Re-roll the dough to make more.
- Cut 2 inch rounds of the chilled cheese and place one piece in the center of each of 18 circles. Cover cheese with remaining circles and seal the edges well with your fingers. Finally use a pasta wheel to crimp around the outside edges. Place on towel-lined baking sheet as you form them.
- Heat the oil to 375°F and fry the sebadas a few at time until they are golden brown.
- Drain them on absorbent paper. Place on individual plates to serve and drizzle with honey while they are warm and serve immediately.
This recipe was featured on Season 27 - Episode 2717.