Sbrisolona - Cornmeal Cake
Sbrisolona, crumbly cake from Lombardia, is made with cornmeal. This is as country as it gets when it comes to baking in this region.
- 2 egg yolks
- 7 ounces sugar
- 1 3/4 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 Zest oflemon
- 7 ounces unbleached all purpose flour
- 7 ounces cornmeal
- 8 ounces shelled whole almonds, coarsely chopped
- Confectioners’ sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F°.
- Grease a 9 inch cake pan with butter and dust with flour. Set aside.
- In a bowl beat the yolks and sugar until light colored. Beat in the butter, vanilla and lemon zest.
- Sift the two flours together over the yolk batter and fold in. Fold in the almonds.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan and smooth the top. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown and firm to the touch.
- Cool cake on rack, then unmold and sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar.
This recipe was featured on Season 23 - Episode 2312.