Scamorza Cheese Casserole
- 21 slices of semolina or sourdough bread, 1/2-inch thick (About a pound )
- 8 large eggs
- Salt to taste
- Grinding black pepper
- 1 - 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 pound salami or soppressata, thinly sliced and cut in half
- 12 ounces scamorza cheese, smoked or unsmoked, coarsely chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter, cut into bits
- Brush an 8 x 13 x 2-inch deep casserole dish with olive oil and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Crack the eggs into a large bowl and beat them with a whisk until foamy. Whisk in the milk, salt and pepper.
- Lay the bread slices in a single layer on each of two rimmed baking sheets.
- Divide and pour the egg mixture over the slices and allow them to soak and absorb the mixture.
- Use a wide spatula to lift the bread slices and make a single layer of 7 slices in the casserole; do not worry if there are gaps. Top with half of the salami and half of the cheese. Make a second layer like the first. Top with the last layer of bread and dot the top with the butter. Place a sheet of wax paper over the top and press it with your hands to compress the bread slices. Remove and discard the wax paper.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until the top is nicely browned. Cut into squares and serve hot or at room temperature.
This recipe was featured on Season 21 - Episode 2120.
No comments on this recipe.