Sicilian Pizza Bread Loaf -
- 1 pound ready made pizza dough or homemade dough at room temperature
- 1-1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 1/2 pound caciocavallo cheese, thinly sliced and slices cut in half, or grate the cheese
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. (If using a glass pan, reduce heat to425°F.)
- Roll the dough on a floured surface into roughly a 26 x 18-inch rectangle. Spread half of the sauce over the middle 3/4 of the dough with the long sides facing you. Lay half the cheese over the sauce. Fold the right side of the dough over the sauce, overlapping by 2 inches.
- Spread the remaining sauce over thefolded portion of the dough; then spread the rest of the cheese over the sauce. Fold the left side over and pinch the ends closed. Try to seal the edges as well as you can to limit the amount of sauce that oozes out during rising and baking.
- Fold the loaf in half crosswise and place it in a greased and parchment-paper-lined 9 x 5-inch bread pan. Cover with a towel and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and pierce the top of the dough with the tines of a fork. Brush the top of the loaf with olive oil to ensure a nice dark brown crust.
- Bake until the bread is dark brown, about 30 to 35 minutes.
- Invert the loaf onto a cooling rack and turn it upright. Let cool for 5 minutes. Cut into crosswise thick slices. Best served warm.
This recipe was featured on Season 28 - Episode 2822.