Spaghetti with Clams / Spaghetti con Vongole
Spaghetti or Linguine can be used in this recipe and either fresh or dried
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon Filippo Berio extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup minced parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons hot red pepper flakes (peperoncini) or 1 small fresh hot red
- pepper, seeded
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 cups fresh clams
- fine sea salt
- 1 pound spaghetti or linguine
- Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan. Stir in the garlic and cook over
- medium heat until it softens and just begins to brown. Stir in the parsley
- and hot red pepper flakes; add more if you like it really hot. Cook 1
- minute. Stir in the tomatoes and the wine. Raise the heat and cook for 2 or
- 3 minutes. Stir in the clams with their juice, simmer the mixture for 2 or
- 3 minutes. Stir in salt.
- Keep the sauce warm while the spaghetti or linguine is cooking.
- Drain the spaghetti or linguine in colander but reserve 2 tablespoons of the cooking water and add it to the sauce. Stir the spaghetti into the sauce, re-heat and serve immediately.