Spinach Spaetzle with Speck and Asiago or Parmigiano Reggiano
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/4 pound Speck, diced
- 6 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup packed spinach, well cooked and squeezed dry
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- Grated Asiago or Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Melt the 2 tablespoons of butter in a large sauté pan and cook the onion until it wilts. Add the Speck and continue cooking until it is nicely browned. Set aside.
- Pour the remaining 6 tablespoons butter into a large casserole dish and set aside.
- Place the spinach, eggs and milk in a blender, food processor or use an immersion blender to puree until smooth. Add the flour, salt and nutmeg, combining well to form a thick pancake-like batter.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil; stir in 1 tablespoon salt. Place the spaetzle maker over the top of the pan. Add the batter in batches to the container and move the container back and forth over the pan; the spaetzle will drop into the water and float to the top. Scoop them out with a spider or colander, making sure to rid them of excess water and transfer them to the pan with the onion and Speck mixture. Toss well adding salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to the casserole dish with the melted butter and sprinkle with cheese. Serve hot.
This recipe was featured on Season 28 - Episode 2809.