Stuffed Artichokes - Episode 2707
- 2 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup mixed grains or farro, cooked
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh mint
- Salt to taste
- Grinding black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 2 large artichokes
- 1 orlarge lemons
- Extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
- Bring broth to a boil in a saucepan and stir in the grain or farro; lower the heat to medium low, cover and allow to cook until tender about 10 minutes. Drain grains or farro and place in a bowl. Mix in the parsley, mint, salt, pepper and cheese. Set aside.
- Rinse and dry the artichokes; use a vegetable peeler to peel the stem. Cut down about 1/4 inch from the top of the artichokes; remove the first layer of tough outer leaves and using a scissors, clip off the thorny ends of the leaves. With a sharp knife, cut the artichokes in half lengthwise. Drizzle the cut sides of the artichokes with lemon juice. Place them cut side down in a sauté pan large enough to hold them in a single layer. Cover them with water, adding more lemon juice to the pan. Bring to a boil; cover pan, lower heat to medium and cook until you can easily pull a leaf off of the artichoke, about 20 minutes.
- Drain them carefully; cool slightly then use a small spoon or melon baller to remove the hairy choke in the center of each one.
- Brush a baking dish with olive oil.
- Divide and fill each half with the grain or farro mixture packing it in and mounding it slightly. Drizzle the tops with olive oil.
- Cover and place in a 350°F pre-heated oven for 15 to 30 minutes, depending on size, or until heated through. Serve hot.
This recipe was featured on Season 27 - Episode 2707.