I love figs, fresh and dried. In early fall I pick them from my fig tree and use them in many ways. During the winter months I resort to using dried figs for everything from fig risotto to fig bread. Dried figs make great appetizers too and here is one of my favorites.
- 1/4 pound Prosciutto di Parma diced
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1/3 cup chopped pistachio nuts
- 12 large dried Calimyrna figs cut in half
- Cook the prosciutto in a small frying pan until crisp. Drain and set aside.
- Pour the balsamic vinegar into a small saucepan. Stir in the honey. Cook over medium heat until the liquid is reduced by half and has thickened. Cool and set aside.
- In a bowl whip the cheese and orange zest together. Stir in all but 2 tablespoons of the nuts and all the prosciutto.
- Arrange the fig halves on a decorative serving dish and top each one with a little of the cheese mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve; let come to room temperature.
- With a spoon drizzle the tops of the figs with a little of the balsamic sauce.
This recipe was featured on Season 23 - Episode 2308.