Sweet and Sour Onions
Put the spinach in a large pot with just the water clinging to its leaves, cover, and cook until wilted, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain well and squeeze dry.
In a skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the spinach, cream, nutmeg, and salt and stir well. Sprinkle on the cheese. Turn off the heat, cover the pot, and let sit for a few minutes, until the cheese melts. Serve immediately.
- 2 pounds small white onions
- 3 ounces sugar
- 4 ounces white wine vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- Filippo Berio Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- Peel the onions and boil them whole in salted water just until a knife is easily inserted into the center. Drain the onions well and put them in a sauté pan with the olive oil, bay leaf, and cinnamon sticks. Cook, turning occasionally, for two or three minutes. Sprinkle the onions with the sugar and vinegar and cook over medium-low heat until the onions are cooked.
- These may be served hot or cold.
No comments on this recipe.