Sweet Peppers with Garlic and Mint
Sweet bell peppers, a mix of red, yellow and green, combined with a garlic and mint paste is a beloved Sicilian dish that is served as an antipasto or lunch and is an example of simple country cooking. Add a good country loaf of bread, a glass of wine and life is good.
- 6 large bell peppers, your choice of color(s)
- 1/2 cup Filippo Berio extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup packed mint leaves
- 3 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- Wash and dry the peppers and place them on a baking sheet. Roast them at 400°F until they soften and collapse and the skin begins to blister and turn black. Roasting time will depend on how big the peppers are.
- Remove them from the oven and allow them to cool. Any liquid from the cooking process, transfer to a bowl.
- Remove the skin, core and seeds from each one in a colander set over the bowl containing the remaining cooking liquid. Cut the peppers into 1/4-inch thick strips. Add them to the bowl with the liquid.
- Sprinkle the garlic with salt and let stand 1 minute, then mince into a paste. Add the mint leaves and mince with the garlic. Stir into the peppers and toss well. Add the vinegar and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover with plastic wrap and allow to marinate at least 1 hour at room temperature before serving.
This recipe was featured on Season 23 - Episode 2323.