Swordfish Skewers / Spiedino di Pesce Spada
This Sicilian inspired swordfish dish utilizes many of the islands natural ingredients including pine nuts, raisins, lemons, olive oil and swordfish.
SERVES 4 to 6
- 1/2 cup couscous
- 1 1/4 cups water or chicken broth
- 1/4 cup hot water
- Saffron threads or powder (turmeric can be substituted)
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup raisins soaked in warm water
- 3 lemons
- 2 garlic cloves finely minced
- 1 tablespoon Filippo Berio extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound swordfish cut into 1 inch thick chunks
- 6 whole bay leaves
- Bring the 1 1/4 cups water or broth to a boil in a sauce pan and add the couscous. Return to a boil, then turn off the heat, cover the pan and allow the couscous to absorb the liquid.
- Pour the hot water into a small bowl and stir in saffron or turmeric. Allow to stand for 5 minutes then stir into the couscous. Drain the raisins and stir in with the pine nuts. Set aside and keep covered and warm.
- Squeeze one lemon into a glass 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Add the garlic and olive oil and stir to mix well. Add salt and pepper. Add the swordfish and coat each piece well in the mixture. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Cut the remaining lemons into quarters. When ready to cook, thread skewers alternating with a lemon wedge and a few chunks of swordfish and a bay leaf.
- Grill until the swordfish is opaque.
- Serve over the couscous.
This recipe was featured on Season 23 - Episode 2325.
No comments on this recipe.