A tomato gratin makes a great side dish and is a good and delicious way to use up extra summer tomatoes.
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups 1-inch diced ciabatta bread cubes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cups cut cherry tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Grinding black pepper
- 1 cup diced or grated Asiago cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a stovetop to oven casserole dish and brown the bread cubes in batches; transfer them to a bowl; add more oil as needed to brown the remaining bread cubes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in the same pan and cook the garlic until golden; stir in the tomatoes, salt, sugar and pepper and cook until the tomatoes exude their juices. Return the bread cubes to the pan and press them down into the tomatoes. Sprinkle the cheese on top and bake until set and nicely browned about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle basil over top and scoop from pan to serve.
This recipe was featured on Season 28 - Episode 2817.