Tortelli Mugelina Style / Tortelli di Patate alla Mugellina
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup minced parsley
- 4 large Yukon Gold Potatoes, cooked and mashed
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Grating nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- BUTTER SAGE SAUCE
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks)
- 1/3 cup minced sage leaves
- Grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Combine eggs, oil, and salt in the bowl of a food processor and whirl the ingredients to combine. Add enough of the flour gradually to make a dough that moves away from the sides of the bowl. Gather dough into a ball, knead a few times and let rest, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil and cook the parsley and garlic until the garlic softens; set aside to cool. To the mashed potatoes in a large bowl, add the other 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the parsley/garlic mixture, the cheese and nutmeg and mix well. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Divide dough and work with small pieces. Roll thru pasta machine as for lasagna strips about 4 inches wide and 16 inches long. Place small amounts of the filling spaced about 1 inch apart lengthwise on the left side of the strips, slightly off center. Fold the other side of the strip over the left and pinch edges closed. Use your hands to seal the tortelli between each one; then cut them into 1-inch pieces with a pasta wheel.
- Place the tortelli on a towel-lined tray while you make them.
- Melt butter in a saucepan; add sage leaves and allow to flavor butter for a couple of minutes over very low heat. Add salt to taste. Set aside and keep warm. As the tortelli are cooking, spread the sauce in the bottom of a shallow baking dish.
- Cook the tortelli in salted boiling water a dozen at a time and remove with slotted spoon to a baking dish with the Butter Sage Sauce in the bottom. Mix the tortelli gently with the sauce. Transfer to a serving platter and sprinkle with the grated cheese.
- Serve hot.
This recipe was featured on Season 29 - Episode 2922.