Makes 1 cup
- 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 10 tolarge cherry tomatoes, skinned and coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 8 basilleaves, torn into small pieces
- Few grains coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano
- Grind the almonds in a food processor or spice grinder until they are coarse crumbs. Transfer them to a small non-stick sauté pan and toast them until they are fragrant and have taken on a little color. Transfer to a bowl. Set aside.
- Place the tomatoes in boiling water for a few minutes until the skin blisters; cool, peel, remove the seeds and break them up. Set aside. Or make a slit in each one and microwave them on high heat for 1 to 2 minutes until skins are cracked. Cool, peel, chop and set aside.
- Add the garlic and almonds to the mortar and crush. Add the basil and grind the mixture. Add salt.
- Add the tomatoes and drizzle in olive oil until a thick sauce is obtained. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook the busiate, drain and mix with sauce; sprinkle with grated pecorino Romano cheese.
This recipe was featured on Season 28 - Episode 2808.