Tuna, Artichoke, Caper & Chickpea Salad / Insalata di Tonno, Carciofi, Capperi e Cece
Tuna with celery, artichokes, chickpeas and capers is a delightful salad made either with fresh poached tuna or tuna in olive oil. It’s a refreshing and hearty summertime salad. This salad is best made early in the day to allow the flavors to marry. To save time, poach and refrigerate the tuna ahead of time.
- 1/2 pound fresh tuna steak or 8 ounces canned tuna packed in water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1 10-ounce package frozen artichoke hearts
- 1 cup canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup diced fennel or celery
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons capers in salt, rinsed well, dried and minced
- 1/4 cup minced parsley
- 1/3 cup Filippo Berio extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- Place the tuna steak in an 8-inch sauté pan and just barely cover it with cold water. Add the bay leaf, lemon slices, and salt. Bring the water to just under a simmer and cook the fish slowly until it turns uniformly gray. This will take about 6 to 8 minutes. Drain the tuna, transfer it to a large bowl and flake it with a fork into large pieces. Let it cool.
- Put the artichokes in a small saucepan, add 1/2 cup of cold water and bring them to a boil. Cook until tender, about 4 minutes. Drain and coarsely chop them. Add them to the bowl with the tuna. Stir in the chickpeas, fennel or celery, onion, capers, and parsley. Toss the ingredients well. Pour the olive oil over the ingredients and toss. Sprinkle the vinegar over the salad and toss again. Add additional salt if necessary.
- Serve at room temperature.
- Note: If using canned tuna, drain of the water, flake the tuna as described above and continue with the recipe.
- Variation: Hard-boiled egg slices and minced black oil-cured olives give additional flavor.
No comments on this recipe.