Tuna Stuffed Red Bell Peppers
- 6 Oneounce can tuna in olive oil, drained and oil reserved
- 1 small red onion, minced
- 1 cup well drained and rinsed canned chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons minced thyme
- 2 tablespoon minced tarragon
- Juice of one lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 medium red bell peppers cut in half lengthwise, seeds and membrane scraped out with a small spoon*
- Place the tuna in a medium size bowl and flake it with a fork. Add 2 tablespoons of the reserved tuna oil, onion and 1/2 cup of the chickpeas. Combine well.
- Place remaining chickpeas in a blender or use an immersion blender to puree them with the remaining tuna oil. Add to the bowl with the tuna and chickpeas. Add the thyme, tarragon and lemon juice and combine well. If the mixture seems dry, add a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide and fill the pepper halves with the tuna mixture; sprinkle the pine nuts over the top. Cover and allow to stand at room temperature for 1 hour before serving.
- *If you would like to have a tool to clean the white membrane from the inside of the peppers, see Artisan Pasta Tools at http://www.artisanalpastatools.com/nonni.shtml and look for the Pepper Scoop.
This recipe was featured on Season 28 - Episode 2819.
Canned Cannelloni beans substituted for chick peas on the show.
On the show canned cannelloni beans were used instead of chickpeas