Tuna with Whole Wheat Rigatoni - Episode 2622
SERVES 2 – 4 (depending on how hungry you are)
- 4 tablespoons Filippo Berio extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tiny hot red pepper (or a smaller amount if you are timid)
- 3 orsprigs fresh Italian flat leaf parsley, stemmed
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine such as Pinot Grigio or Soave
- 1 can good quality chunked tuna in olive oil
- 1 cup sugar snap peas or shelled peas
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons capers in brine, drained
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- Salt and coarse black pepper to taste
- 1/2 pound whole wheat rigatoni
- Pour the olive oil into a large sauté pan.
- Finely mince together by hand or in a mini food processor, the onion, garlic, hot pepper and parsley. Add to the sauté pan with the oil and cook over medium heat until the mixture softens. Turn the heat to high and pour in the wine; bring to a boil and cook for a couple of minutes. Lower the heat to medium and add the tuna, breaking it up with a fork. Add the peas, tomatoes, capers, oregano and salt and pepper to taste. Cook until the sauce begins to thicken. Cover and turn off the heat.
- Meanwhile cook the rigatoni in 2 quarts of salted water until al dente. Drain and add to the sauté pan. Turn on the heat and mix the rigatoni well in the sauce making sure it is well coated. Serve hot.
This recipe was featured on Season 26 - Episode 2622.