Velvet Zucchini Basil Soup
This soup goes together quickly if you have a food processor with a shredding attachment or you could shred by hand on a cheese grater.
Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 2 large zucchini, ends trimmed
- 1 large Vidalia onion
- 1 large Yukon Gold potato, peeled
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ to 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 5 large leaves fresh basil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Shred the zucchini and transfer to a bowl. If the zucchini are very seedy ones, remove the seeds before shredding. Shred a large Vidalia onion and add to the zucchini, then shred the potato and transfer to the bowl with the zucchini and onion.
- Heat the olive oil in a soup pot and add all the ingredients. Stir well to combine and cover the pot. Lower the heat to medium low and cook until the zucchini has reduced in volume, is soft and is beginning to exude its juices. Add corn and cook 5 minutes longer. Add the basil.
- Use an immersion blender and puree the soup until smooth or do this in batches in a food processor. The soup will be very thick but it can be thinned down to whatever consistency you like with some chicken broth. Season with salt and pepper. And the bonus is that this will freeze beautifully for the winter months.
No comments on this recipe.