Weekend Chicken Soup / Zuppa di Pollo Fine Settimana
SERVES 6 TO 8
How about a really delicious easy-to-prepare, chock-full of chicken soup for supper? With a ready-cooked rotisserie chicken from your local market, canned broth, and some frozen peas, this soup appears almost magically. And it’s good enough for company.
- INGREDIENTS5 1/2 cups homemade or canned low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup diced leeks or scallions
- 2 cups diced chicken from a 3-pound cooked rotisserie chicken
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 2 tablespoons minced flat-leaf parsley
- Fine sea salt to taste
- 10 whole cherry tomatoes, stemmed and washed
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- DIRECTIONSPour 1 cup of broth into a 2-quart soup pot; add the leeks or scallions and bring the mixture to a simmer. Cook, covered, for 3 minutes or just until the leeks or scallions look wilted. Pour in the remaining broth and add the chicken, celery seed, parsley, and salt. Cover and cook 3 minutes more. Add the cherry tomatoes and peas and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice. Serve hot.
- Variation: Add 1 can of well-drained and rinsed chickpeas or 1 cup cooked ditalini pasta.
- Hint: To save time, buy the chicken several days ahead and debone it. Refrigerate the pieces until ready to put the soup together.
This recipe was featured on Season 15 - Episode 1507.
No comments on this recipe.