Whole Wheat Spaghetti with Roasted Vegetables / Spaghetti Integrale con le Verdure Arrostite
Whole wheat pasta is front and center in the pasta aisle as more people discover not only its nutty flavor but health benefits as well. Pasta companies have heard the call and are churning out whole wheat pasta in all sorts of shapes and sizes from soup pasta to lasagne sheets. Teamed with roasted vegetables, this dish is about as healthy as it gets.
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 medium carrots, scraped and cut into 1/2-inch thick rounds
- 8 Brussels sprouts, trimmed and cut in half
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, stemmed, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1 pound whole wheat spaghetti
- Salt to taste
- Grinding black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Pour 1/3 cup of the olive oil in a large bowl. Add 1 teaspoon salt and a grinding of pepper. Separately toss each of the vegetables, carrots, Brussels sprouts and peppers in the oil, coating them well.
- Transfer the vegetables to a baking sheet and bake them until a knife is easily inserted into them. Keep them covered and warm while the spaghetti is cooking.
- Bring 4 to 6 quarts of water to a boil. Stir in 1 tablespoon of salt. Stir in the spaghetti, pushing it down into the water with a wooden spoon. Cook the spaghetti until a strand of it fished out of the water and broken in half does not reveal any uncooked flour. Drain the spaghetti in a colander and return it to the pot. Over low heat, stir in the remaining olive oil and add the roasted vegetables. Stir until everything is very hot, and then transfer the mixture to a serving platter.
- Serve immediately.
This recipe was featured on Season 21 - Episode 2116.
No comments on this recipe.