Zucchini Meatballs / Polpette di Zucchine
- 2 medium size zucchini, shredded
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/4 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup minced fresh Italian parsley leaves
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten with a fork
- 2/3 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Tomato sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spread the zucchini on non-stick baking sheets and place them in the oven. Turn off the heat and let the zucchini dry out for a couple of hours to remove excess water. This step can be done a day ahead.
- In a large bowl, combine the garlic, breadcrumbs, parsley, salt, pepper, oregano, eggs, and cheese. Coarsely chop the zucchini and add it to the bowl and mix well. Refrigerate the mixture for 20 minutes.
- Scoop small amounts of the mixture into your hands and form meatballs the size of a small egg, (to make about 18,) or make them larger if you prefer. Roll the balls in the flour.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large sauté pan, over medium-high heat and fry the meatballs, turning them occasionally so they brown evenly, or bake them in an oiled casserole dish in a preheated 350F oven for 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer the meatballs to a serving dish; serve hot with tomato sauce if preferred.
This recipe was featured on Season 29 - Episode 2912.