Zucchini Tart Modena Style/Torta Zucchetti alla Modenese - Episode 2419
This torta is cut into small cubes and served warm or cold as an antipasto along with salumi or fried vegetables (fritto misto di verdure).
Serves 8- 10 as an antipasto
- PASTRY DOUGH
- 7 ounces flour
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 pound ricotta cheese, well drained and in bits
- 4 ounces cold butter in bits
- 1 pound small zucchini, sliced into 1/4 inch thick rounds
- 2 tablespoons Filippo Berio extra virgin olive oil
- 7 ounces mozzarella in bits
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Butter an 8 inch square pan about 2 inches deep and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- FOR THE DOUGH
- In a bowl mix the flour and salt. Add the ricotta and work in; add the butter and work in with a fork to create a dough that holds together; if too soft add a little flour, one tablespoon at a time; if too hard, a little water. Gather up dough into a disk. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile make the filling.
- FOR THE FILLING
- Heat the oil in a large skillet and add the zucchini; cook until softened but not mushy; season with salt and pepper. Transfer to bowl and cool.
- Roll the chilled dough out into a 12 inch square. Fit the dough to the pan coming up the sides. Trim excess dough and re-roll to make lattice strips for the top.
- Spread the zucchini in the base. Sprinkle with the mozzarella cheese and the Parmigiano Reggiano cheese.
- Pour the eggs evenly over the cheese.
- Place lattice strips over dough and seal at edges of pan.
- Bake for about 40-45 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool then cut into small cubes.
This recipe was featured on Season 24 - Episode 2419.
No comments on this recipe.