Zucchini Walnut Bread
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1-1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 heaping teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups toasted walnut halves coarsely chopped
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus extra to grease the pan
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup firmly backed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups grated zucchini
- ½ cup diced candied ginger
- Coarse white sugar for sprinkling on top of loaf
- Preheat oven to 350°F Generously butter a 9x5-inch loaf pan and set aside. In a medium size bowl combine the flours, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In a separate large bowl, beat the butter until lemon colored and fluffy. Beat in the sugars until mixture is well combined. Beat in the eggs one at a time, Stir in the vanilla. Stir in the zucchini, 1 cup of the walnuts and ginger.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in batches and combine into a thick batter. Spoon the batter evenly into the prepared pan. Press the remaining ½ cup of walnuts into top of batter and sprinkle the coarse sugar evenly over the top.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until nicely browned and a cake skewer comes out clean when inserted into the middle of the loaf.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 30 minutes. Run a butter knife along the inside pan edges and carefully tip pan on its side to remove the bread. Cool on wire rack.
No comments on this recipe.