Pot Luck and other Essential Kitchen Equipment
March 3, 2010
A good recipe requires an enthusiastic cook, the best ingredients, and the best kitchen tools.
There is no sense to spending time in the kitchen without the basics that will make your job easier. Here is my basic list of a cook’s dozen things that the well equipped kitchen should have.
Saute pans in various sizes from 8 inch to 14 inch.
It is essential to have some non-stick for making things like omelettes and potato pie as well as good heavy duty high gauge stainless steel ones for even browning and cooking.
- Stock pot for making soups,
- 3 to 4 graduated size sauce pans
- Spaghetti pot with insert
- Knife block with chef’s knife, bread knife, steak knives, paring knives,
- Several cutting boards; plastic for meats, wood for vegetables and fruits
- Food processor, the best tool in the kitchen for mincing, making doughs, chopping and cutting
- Imersion blender, great for pureeing soups and sauces
- Hand held mixer for whipping cream, blending ingredients
- Stand mixer for making doughs, cakes, cookies
- Graduated size mixing bowls with pourable spouts