The Spin on Spinach
May 20, 2016
Right now spinach is appearing in local markets and is a welcome sign of spring. Spinach is a really versatile vegetable that somehow doesn’t seem to get enough culinary credit. Here is a veggie that is high in niacin and zinc as well as loaded with fiber and vitamins A, C, E, K and B6. Did I mention folate, calcium, iron and potassium? The list of goodness goes on. But besides that, spinach is a cinch to cook; no need to boil it; it can go into a saute pan with just the water clinging to its rinsed leaves and it cooks in just a couple of minutes. Use it raw too for the obvious spinach salad but check out the other ways to enjoy it from the list below. Popeye would approve.
A dozen ways to incorporate Spinach into your cooking.
1) Shred it and mix it raw into boiling soups
2) Saute it with olive oil, raisins and pine nuts
3) Mix it raw into omelets and frittata
4) Make spinach and cheese balls for a neat appetizer
5) Add it to your morning smoothie
6) Stuff steamed spinach into vegetables like sweet peppers, artichokes and tomatoes
7) Add cooked and minced spinach to your meatball mix for added moisture (don’t tell the kids)
8) Add it raw to your favorite stir fry
9) Add it raw to your quiche mixture
10) Mix cooked spinach into quinoa, rice, farro and other grains
11) Team it with mozzarella cheese as a pizza topping
12) Stuff it into Quesadillas