5 Minute Blistered Summer Tomato Sauce
Ready in 5 minutes, this blistered sauce is so named because the tomatoes are cooked just until they look collapsed and take on a shriveled look. Besides the cherry tomatoes, anchovy really rounds out the flavor. If you are not a fan, so be it but it really makes a taste difference.
P.S. The Colatura di alici di Cetara in the recipe is a liquid anchovy sauce available online and in specialty stores.
- 4 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 tbs minced fresh garlic
- 1 tbs mashed anchovies in olive oil
- OR... 1 tsp Colatura di alici di Cetara
- 4 cups halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 tbs sugar
- 1/4 cup minced parsley
- Grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese for sprinkling
- Heat the oil in a saute pan large enough to add the cooked pasta. Sprinkle the salt over the oil and let it dissolve.
- Stir in the garlic and cook over medium heat stirring often and pressing on the garlic with a spoon. As soon as it is beginning to take on color, stir in the anchovy
- Add the tomatoes and sprinkle them with the sugar.
- Cook stirring occasionally for about 3 minutes or until tomatoes exude juice and look shriveled.
- Keep warm while pasta cooks. When ready, add 2 tablespoons of the cooking water to the sauce.
- Drain the pasta and add to the sauce; stir over medium heat until pasta is evenly sauced.
- Sprinkle the parsley over the top and stir in. Serve in bowls and sprinkle with the cheese.