Abruzzese Ricotta Cake
- To make the dough Use following ingredients
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup sugar
- ¼ cup grapeseed, sunflower, or vegetable oil
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbs milk (or more if dough seems dry)
- To make the filling: Use following ingredients
- 4 eggs separated
- 2 cups ricotta (well-drained)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tbs vanilla extract
- Grated zest one whole lemon or orange
- 1 tbs flour
- To make the dough: In a stand mixer beat the eggs with the sugar and oil until well mixed. Add flour and salt and mix until a dough forms. If too dry, add a little milk. Wrap, rest 20 minutes.
- For the filling In a bowl, mix egg yolks with ricotta, sugar, vanilla, zest and flour. Separately whip whites to soft peaks then fold into ricotta mixture and set aside
- Roll out the dough into a 18 to 20 inch diameter to fit the ring mold and line the pan, letting the excess dough hang over the edges of the pan.
- Add filling and fold the overhanging dough over the filling. Cut a small "x" in the dough in the center tube and fold in the edges of the dough towards the center.
- Bake 375F for 50 minutes to 1 hour or until nicely browned; when cool unmold and dust with confectioners sugar. Cut into wedges to serve.
This recipe was featured on Season 30 - Episode 3008.