Almond Paste Cheesecake / Torta di Mandorle
MAKES A 9-INCH CAKE
- 6 ounces biscotti or other hard butter cookies
- 1/3 cup whole almonds
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup almond paste, cut into small bits
- 1 pound ricotta cheese, well drained
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup light cream or fat free Half & Half or 1/3 cup buttermilk and 2/3 cup Half & Half
- 1/4 cup flour
- A pinch of salt
- Amarena cherries in syrup
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Lightly spray a 9-inch spring form pan with butter-flavored baking spray.
- Whirl the cookies and almonds in a food processor until you have fine crumbs. Transfer the crumbs to a bowl and stir in the sugar, orange peel and butter. Press this mixture into the bottom and slightly up the sides of the pan.
- Bake the crumb lined pan for 12 minutes or just until the edges begin to brown. Remove the pan and cool it for 10 minutes. Lower the oven to 325F.
- Use a food processor or stand mixer to beat the almond paste with the ricotta cheese; add in the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add the sugar and cream and then the flour and salt.
- Pour this mixture into the pan.
- Bake until the filling is set, about 45 to 50 minutes. Cool completely.
- Serve with Amarena cherries or Amarena strawberries over the top. Sliced strawberries with whipped cream is another good topping.
This recipe was featured on Season 16 - Episode 1611.