Anna Nurse's Lima Beans
This dish is the creation of Anna Amendolara Nurse, a New York cooking teacher.
- Pick over, rinse, and soak,
- 1 pound large dried lima beans.
- Drain. Combine in a large saucepan with water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the beans are almost tender, 30 to 50 minutes. Drain, reserving 2 cups of the cooking liquid (add water if necessary to make 2 cups).
- Preheat the oven to 300°F.
- Combine the beans and cooking liquid in a 3-to 4-quart casserole along with:
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 8 ounces thick-cut bacon, diced
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 1/3 cup dark molasses
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- Cover and bake 2 hours, then uncover and bake until tender, about 30 minutes.
This recipe was featured on Season 10 - Episode 1010.