Apple Cream Tart
This luscious and beautiful to look at tart is so easy to make with a dough that is made in seconds in a food processor. Grating the butter while still frozen and working it quickly into the dough results in a flaky and tender crust. The crust can be the canvass for other fruits as well.
- Tart Crust
- 2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 stick frozen, unsalted butter
- 3 medium size Yellow Delicious apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Combine the flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, salt and baking powder in a bowl. Grate the butter on a stand cheese grater over the largest holes and mix quickly into the flour with a fork or pastry blender until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs.
- Dump the mixture into a 9 inch lightly greased fluted tart pan.Pat the mixture evenly into the pan and set aside.
- Arrange the apples slices on the crust in an overlapping pattern filling in the entire surface.
- Combine the remaining sugar, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg in a small bowl and sprinkle it evenly over the apple slices.
- Place the tart on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile whisk the egg yolks in a small bowl with the heavy cream. Pour evenly over the apples and bake 30 minutes longer or until the top is golden brown.
- Remove the tart from the oven and cool on a rack for 10 minutes. Cut into wedges and serve warm.
- From Ciao Italia Family Classics by Mary Ann Esposito, St.Martins Press, NY 2011
No comments on this recipe.