Apples with Raspberry Sauce / Mele con le Salsa di Lampone
SERVES 8 TO 10
Going through the Mercato Centrale in Florence and admiring the variety of fruits and vegetables conjures up all kinds of ideas that I am eager to try when I get home.
The unbelievably plump raspberries grab my attention because they are as big as gun balls and are just begging me to make one of my standby quick company desserts, apples with raspberry sauce.
- 2 cups fresh raspberries
- 3 tablespoons raspberry jam
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup white dessert wine like Moscato d'Asti
- 1 to 2 tablespoons raspberry vinegar
- 8 tomedium size Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- Mascarpone cheese or sweetened whipped cream
- 1/2 cup crushed almonds
- Puree the raspberries in a blender or food processor. Add the jam and sugar and pulse to blend. Add the wine and vinegar and blend well.
- Put the apple slices in a large bowl and pour the raspberry sauce over them. Mix gently to coat the apple slices. Cover the bowl and refrigerate the mixture for 1 hour.
- Spoon the fruit with some of the sauce into individual dessert bowls and top with a dollop of Mascarpone cheese or whipped cream. Sprinkle the almonds over the top of each bowl and serve immediately.
- Note: To keep raspberries fresh and prevent mold from developing, remove them from their container and place them in a single layer on a paper-towel-lined dish. Cover and refrigerate.
This recipe was featured on Season 13 - Episode 1317.