Apricot Marzipan Tart
The distinctive flavors of apricots and marzipan blend together perfectly in this chewy, crunchy tart. Be sure to cook the crust until it is well-browned and crisp. This tart will keep for several days when covered and stored at room temperature. Serve small portions; the delightful flavors are intense.
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 bags (oz. each) dry apricots
- 1 3/4 (8 oz.) cups King Arthur Unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 sticks (oz.) unsalted butter, cold, cut intopieces
- 1/3 cup ice water
- 1 cup Love'n Bake™ Marzipan
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Additional butter and granulated sugar as needed
- Whipped cream or ice cream
- Place the apricots in a small saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Turn off heat and let sit until apricots soften, about 10 minutes. Drain the liquid.
- Combine the flour, salt and cold butter in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Blend the dough by pulsing 10 times. The butter should stay in visible pea-sized pieces. Add the cold water and pulse a few times to moisten the dough. It will not come together in a ball.
- Dump the flour mixture into a large bowl. Gather the crumbly dough up into a ball and wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour before rolling.
- Place a baking stone, if available, on the middle shelf of the oven. Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface to form a 14-inch circle. Transfer the dough to a paper-lined baking sheet.
- Flatten the marzipan with the rolling pin then break it up and place it evenly over the crust. Split the apricots in half and arrange them in one even layer over the crust leaving about 1-inch from the outside edge of the dough. Place the slices so that they barely touch working around the edge of the dough in a circular pattern.
- Fold the edges of the dough over covering the first circle of apricots.
- Combine the milk, egg, sugar and vanilla in a small bowl until blended. Pour over the apricots. Dot the crust and apricots with a few thin slices of butter then sprinkle evenly with additional granulated sugar.
- Bake the tart until the crust is brown and the apricots are slightly darkened on top, 50 to 55 minutes. Cool the tart on a wire rack then serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.
This recipe was featured on Season 17 - Episode 1726.
No comments on this recipe.