Baked Crab Cakes / Tortine di Granchio al Forno
These baked crab cakes are packed with healthy ingredients and are delicious when served on steamed spinach.
- Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 medium zucchini, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 32 ounces fresh spinach, washed
- 1/3 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1 cup diced cherry tomatoes
- 1 pound lump crabmeat
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup cooked bulgur (Cracked wheat)
- 1/4 cup minced basil
- Salt to taste
- Grinding black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Brush 2 baking sheets with olive oil and lay the zucchini in single rows on the sheets. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake until they are soft but not mushy.
- Place the spinach in a pot and cook just until it wilts. Drain and squeeze dry. Return to the pot and stir in the mascarpone and diced tomatoes. Gently mix. Keep warm but uncovered.
- Brush eight 3 X 1 1/2-inch ramekins or muffin tins with olive oil. Line each one with overlapping strips of the zucchini. Make sure there are no gaps. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the crabmeat, egg, olive oil, lemon juice, bulgur, basil and salt and pepper. Divide and fill each ramekin with the mixture. Fold the ends of the zucchini strips over the top. Place the ramekins on a baking sheet and cover them with foil.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- When ready to serve, scoop some of the spinach mixture onto individual dinner plates. Uncover the ramekins and carefully unmold on top of the spinach.
This recipe was featured on Season 18 - Episode 1803.
Mary Ann, this recipe is a winner! I have tried other recipes but this one is my far the best–my family and I love it. Thank you.
Mary Ann, this recipe is a winner! I have tried other recipes but this one is by far the best–my family and I love it. Thank you.
I saw the program for crab cakes and wanted to download the recipes, alas it was unsuccessful??????????????
I saw this recipe on the tv show & just thought I have to try this. It looks delicious & I’m sure it is. I will be trying it soon, thanks a lot.
I LOVE all your shows and you!!! Keep the new recipes coming!!
(to finish my note). I am serving crab cakes in zucchini as the appetizer for our Christmas Meal. Many thanks, Mary Ann! Paul Murphy