Banana Cream Pudding / Bavarese
A bavarese is a rich molded pudding made with cream and milk. It is one of my favorite desserts and very easy to make, lending itself to a variety of flavors. This one is made with very ripe bananas, which minimizes the amount of sugar needed. Make this early on the day you plan to serve it.
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup boiled milk
- 1 large well-mashed banana (2/3 cup )
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 pint strawberries, stemmed and wiped clean
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- Pour the water into a medium bowl, sprinkle the gelatin over it, stir, and let dissolve. Set aside.
- In another bowl, beat the egg yolks and 1/2 cup of sugar with an electric mixer until the mixture is lemon colored. Set aside. Gradually stir the milk into the gelatin mixture, blending well. While beating, slowly pour the milk and gelatin mixture into the egg mixture. Add the banana and the cream, and continue to beat until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a 4-cup mold. Cover the mold with foil or plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or until firm.
- In a food processor or blender, puree the strawberries with the brandy and remaining sugar until smooth. Set aside.
- To serve, unmold the bavarese by placing a serving dish larger than the mold on top and carefully turning the dish over. Holding the sides of the plate and the mold, shake the mold gently to release it. If it does not come out easily, quickly dip the bottom of the mold in hot water and repeat the process.
- Cut the mold into serving pieces and pour some of the sauce over the top.
- Variation: Make individual molds. Spoon some of the sauce over each mold after unmolding.