Beefsteak with Tomato Sauce / Bistecca alla Pizzaiola
Anytime you see the pizzaiola you can assume that the dish is made Neapolitan style with tomatoes, oregano, and garlic, as in this delicious, thin-sliced sirloin steak pizzaiola, ready in no time at all when you keep tomato sauce on hand.
- 1 pound boneless sirloin steak, thinly sliced
- Salt to taste
- Coarse black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 1/2 cups prepared tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup minced flat-leaf parsley
- Season the meat on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Melt the butter in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Sauté the meat, in batches if necessary, on both sides until lightly browned. Sprinkle the meat with the oregano. Stir in the tomato sauce and simmer the mixture for 15 minutes. Stir in the parsley and serve.
- Variation: Veal, pork, or chicken cutlets also work well in this recipe.
This recipe was featured on Season 16 - Episode 1607.