Bitter Greens and Pork Sausage / Friarielli con Salsicce
Good Italian sausage is often hard to find and if possible it is best to make your own. One of the classic southern Italian dishes is sausage with bitter greens and in Naples, this means friarielli which are unavailable here so substitute broccoli rape or turnip tops.
- 2 pounds good pork sausage in their casing
- --or make your own
- 2 tablespoons Filippo Berio extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and cut in half lengthwise
- 1 small chili pepper, seeded and diced; dried pepper flakes may be substituted
- 1 pound turnip tops or broccoli rape, washed and cut into pieces
- Place the sausage in a sauté pan and add 1/2 cup of water. Cover the pan and cook over medium high heat just until the sausage turns gray.
- Drain off the water and continue to cook the sausage in its own fat until it is nicely browned. If the pan seems dry add a little olive oil.
- Transfer the sausage to a cutting board and slice into 3-inch links and cover with a sheet of aluminum foil. Add the garlic and chili pepper to the pan; cook until the garlic is soft and begins to brown.
- Discard the garlic and add the turnip tops or broccoli rape.
- Place a cover slightly ajar over the pan and cook until the greens wilt. Push the greens aside and return the sausage to the pan. Heat through. Serve hot.
This recipe was featured on Season 20 - Episode 2002.