Braised Artichokes / Carciofi in Tegame
- 2 large globe artichokes (about 1 pound )
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons (¼ stick) butter
- 2 tablespoons Filippo Berio extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- Wash and dry the artichokes. Roll them around on the countertop under your hand to loosen the leaves. Cut off the stems and remove the tough outer leaves at the base. Cut ¼ inch off the top of each artichoke and trim the thorns on the tips. Open the center of each artichoke and remove the fuzzy choke with a melon scoop or spoon.
- Cut the artichokes in half, then in quarters. Place in a bowl of cold water and lemon juice. Let soak for several minutes, then drain and dry well. Set aside.
- In a Dutch oven, heat the butter and oil. Add the garlic and sauté until it begins to soften. Add the parsley and continue to cook over low heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Put in the artichokes and coat well with the seasonings. Sprinkle the salt over the artichokes, cover the pot, and cook over low heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add milk and half the wine to the pot and continue to cook, covered for 15 minutes. Add the remaining wine and cook until a knife is easily inserted into the leaves and heart. Serve immediately.
This recipe was featured on Braised Artichokes / Carciofi in Tegame - Episode 508.
No comments on this recipe.