Broccoli Roll / Rotolo di Broccoli
Sometimes I get carried away with my family’s cooking ethic: Never throw any food away, and always cook more than you think you will need just in case the doorbell rings. I always worry that company will appear unannounced and I will have nothing to feed them. If you have my broccoli roll on hand, you won’t have to worry.
- 1 recipe Straight Dough
- 1/4 cup Filippo Berio Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups finely chopped cooked broccoli
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 pound pepperoni, diced
- 1/4 pound mozzarella cheese, diced
- 1/4 pound Provolone cheese, diced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 large egg beaten with 1 teaspoon water for egg wash
- Coarse salt
- Sesame seeds
- Prepare the dough as directed and set aside to rise until doubled in size.
- In a large frying pan, heat 3 tablespoons of the oil. Add the garlic and sauté until soft. Add the broccoli and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the wine vinegar, basil, and oregano and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the mixture to a bowl and let cool.
- Punch the dough down, turn it out onto a floured surface, and knead for 5 minutes. Roll the dough out to a 12-´-14-inch rectangle. Lift the dough onto a lightly greased baking sheet; don't worry if the edges hang over the sides of the sheet at this point.
- Brush the top of the dough with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Spread the broccoli mixture over the dough to within 1/2 inch of the edges. Scatter the diced pepperoni and cheeses over the dough and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Starting with a long side, roll the dough up tightly like a jelly roll. Pinch the seam to seal and position the roll so the seam is on the bottom; tuck the 2 ends under the roll.
- Brush the top with the egg wash and sprinkle with coarse salt and sesame seeds. Cover with a towel and let rise for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until nicely browned. Let cool and cut into thick slices.
- Variarion: Omit the pepperoni and use chopped frozen broccoli when you don't have fresh on hand. Broccoli rape may also be used.
- Note: Fiore di latte mozzarella gives a smooth flavor and rich finish to the roll.
No comments on this recipe.