Broiled Sandwiches / Panini Arrostiti
The success of this quick but appealing sandwich depends upon the ingredients being cut almost paper thin and uniform in size. These are a snap to put together, wonderful for a luncheon accompanied by a green salad and fresh fruit. Or team them with Zuppa di Fagioli for a fall or winter supper. These sandwiches can also be made cocktail size for a more formal affair.
- 6 slices Italian bread, cut 3/4-inch thick from a 9-inch round
- 6 tablespoons Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 small zucchini cut lengthwise in thin strips
- 1/4 pound prosciutto, thinly sliced
- 2 plum tomatoes, cut in thin rounds
- 1/2 pound sliced mozzarella or Fontina cheese
- Black pepper to taste
- Place the bread in a single layer in a broiling pan and drizzle each slice with 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin olive oil. Top each slice with the remaining ingredients in the order given. Sprinkle with a little black pepper.
- Broil the sandwiches about 6 inches from the heat until the cheese has bubbled and is nicely browned. Serve the sandwiches immediately.
- Note: Use fresh mozzarella (Fior di Latte) if available. Its mild and delicate taste is unbeatable. A combination of mozzarella and Fontina works well, too.
This recipe was featured on Season 6 - Episode 608.
No comments on this recipe.