Serve this classic side dish with meats or poultry.
- 2 pounds small white onions
- 2 ounces pancetta, diced
- 1 teaspoon Filippo Berio extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 cups orange blossom honey or regular honey
- 4 ounces sweet Marsala wine
- Fine sea salt
- Peel the onions and boil them whole in salted water just until a knife is easily inserted into the center. Drain the onions and set aside.
- Cook the pancetta in a sauté pan with the olive oil and when the pancetta is soft, add the onions and the wine and cook until the wine is almost evaporated.
- As soon as the wine is evaporated, stir in the honey. (Add a teaspoon of Marsala to keep the mixture from sticking, if necessary.)
- Cook slowly, turning the onions occasionally until they are glazed looking.
- Remove the onions to a bowl and serve as an accompaniment to meats and poultry.
No comments on this recipe.