Carnival Pizza / Pizza di Carnivale
Lisa from Huntington Beach, CA shares this fabulous filled pizza recipe that her mom got from her hometown, Pratola Peligna, in the Abruzzi region of Italy. It’s bare bones, rustic and the perfect meal for a cold winter’s night, or the hit for a Sunday brunch.
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups of tepid milk
- 1 tsp. of yeast
- 4 eggs,grams of sugar (use a large handful)
- Enough flour to form into a tender ball of dough.
- 8 links Italian sausage, casing removed, cooked, crumbled
- 2 eggs
- Handful of sugar
- Romano and Parmesan Cheese to taste
- Mix all dough ingredients, using the yeast last to form a ball. Knead and cut into two parts, enough to create a bottom and top crust for a pie. (I had some leftover). Roll out the dough for the bottom of the pie and place into a deep pie dish.
- For the filling: cooked sausage (I used about 8 links, removed from the casing), the directions say to use parmesan and romano cheese according to your taste, 2 eggs and another handful of sugar.
- Mix all ingredients for the filling - beat the eggs, cheese and sugar and add the cooked sausage. Fill pie and cover with the other half of the dough, rolled out to form the cover. Coat the pie with a beaten egg for color and bake in a 375 degree oven for approximately 35 - 40 minutes. Judge doneness by color.
No comments on this recipe.