Carol and Cristina's Biscotti / Biscotti alle Carol e Cristina
This is a base recipe that I have adapted to make my Biscotti. The basic dough stays the same but the additions are what change. As we have a nut allergy in the house all of my biscotti are nut free. However, you can add any flavors or extras that are to your family’s taste.
- Basic ingredients
- 1 stick of unsalted butter (softened)
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- 3 cups of flour (this is where the measuring gets dicey) Sometimes it is two cups sometimes it is 3 depending on the added ingredients. The dough should ultimately end up dense and thick with a little stickiness to it.
- These are your additive ingredients:
- Cranberry/white chocolate
- 1 bag of craisons(dried cranberries)
- 1 bag of white chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Chocolate /Chocolate Chip
- 1 bag of semi sweet tollhouse chips
- 1/2 cup Hershey chocolate syrup
- In a mixing bowl cream together the butter, sugar, eggs baking powder, salt and vanilla extract. When that base is happily together, add: the craisons and the white chocolate chips. or the Chocolate/Chocolate chips or whatever you desire.
- Begin to add flour. Mix and knead slowly to get the mix to a dense dough. Flour the counter and remove the mixture and knead in more flour to get the dough able to form a ball.
- Cut ball into four quarters and then shape quarters into loaves no more than one inch high.
- On two cookie sheets (2 loaves on each sheet) bake the loaves at 350 degrees for about 10-15 minutes watch to ensure the bottom does not burn.
- Remove the loaves and place on a large cutting board.
- With a sharp knife, slice the loaves into 1 1/2 to 2-inch slices
- Carefully place the slices on their side back on the cookie sheets and bake again for about 5-8 minutes on each side. Remove and cool.