Chef Jim Dodge's Raspberry Budino
Our thanks to Chef Jim Dodge for this wonderful recipe!
Serves 6 – 8
- 1 basket fresh ripe organic raspberries
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Check the center of the berries and remove any stems or twigs; set to one side. If necessary, wash berries by dropping the berries in a bowl with plenty of cold water. Quickly remove and drain. Gently pat dry with a clean towel.
- Combine the cream and milk in a heavy-bottom saucepan. Over medium high heat bring to a simmer. Meanwhile, in a small size bowl, blend together the sugar and cornstarch. Whisk in the egg and yolks until smooth.
- Once the cream has come to a simmer, quickly whisk half the hot cream into the egg mixture until blended. Immediately pour the egg mixture back into the pan with the remaining cream. Cook over medium heat, stirring continuously with a wire whisk scraping the bottom and sides of the pan, until the center bubbles and the mixture thickens.
- Remove the custard from the heat and continue to whisk for 1 minute to avoid the bottom burning. Pour the custard through a fine-mesh sieve placed over a medium bowl, this will remove any isolated cooked egg. Fold in vanilla and raspberries. Spoon into cups or ramekins, filling them as equally as possible. Quickly spread the tops evenly with a small spatula. With a damp paper towel or cloth, wipe clean the top of the ramekin’s inside edge above the pudding. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or overnight. Keep for up to 2 days.
This recipe was featured on Season 24 - Episode 2425.