Chicken and Potatoes with Wine / Pollo e Patate con Vino
Serves 6 to 8
This medley of vegetables, fresh herbs, and chicken is best when prepared a day in advance.
- 8 orsmall potatoes (aboutounces)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 rib celery, cleaned and quartered
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and quartered
- 1 small clove garlic, peeled
- 2 fresh sage leaves
- 1 Leaves fromlarge sprig fresh rosemary
- 3 1/2 pounds chicken drumsticks
- Flour, for dredging
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
- 3 tablespoons Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 ½ cups beef broth
- 2 ounces of prosciutto, cut in strips
- Fine sea salt to taste
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley
- Wash the potatoes well and set aside. Bring a medium saucepan two-thirds full of water to a boil. Add the salt and the potatoes, and boil for 7 to 8 minutes, or until semi cooked. Drain the potatoes in a colander and set aside.
- Place the onion, celery, and carrot on a cutting board along with the garlic, sage, and rosemary leaves. With a knife, finely dice the vegetables and seasonings together. Set aside.
- Wash and dry the chicken pieces. Dredge in flour, shake off the excess, and set aside.
- In a large heatproof casserole or frying pan, heat the butter and olive oil. Add the minced vegetables and cook slowly over low heat for 5 to 8 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft but not browned.
- Add the chicken pieces and continue to cook over low heat, turning the pieces to brown evenly. Raise the heat to medium-high, add the wine, and cook until it evaporates, about 5 minutes.
- Dissolve the tomato paste in the hot broth. Add half the broth to the chicken, stir, cover the pot, and let cook over medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Peel the potatoes and cut in half. Add along with the remaining broth to the chicken and cook, covered, for 20 minutes longer, or until the chicken is tender. Five minutes before the chicken is cooked, add the prosciutto, sea salt, and pepper.
- To serve, place the chicken on a dish with the sauce. Sprinkle on the parsley.
- Note: I cook this in the same dish that I plan to serve in. Variation: Use turkey instead of chicken.
No comments on this recipe.