Chicken with Lemon and Herbs/Pollastri al Limone ed Erbe
Intense flavor happens. Like the tangy lemon taste of juicy roasted chicken. This dish is so reminiscent of the Amalfi coast, where sunny lemons, fruity olive oil, and fragrant fresh herbs are the heroes of Italian cooking. Look for organic chicken when making this or other dishes calling for poultry. The flavor and quality is worth the extra cost.
- 3 large lemons
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup fresh minced flat leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- One cut up 3 1/2 pound chicken (preferably organic)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Combine the zest and juice of two lemons in a large shallow glass pan. Stir in the oregano, parsley, olive oil, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Toss the chicken in the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Transfer the pieces to a lightly oiled baking pan. Roast until an instant read meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the chicken registers 165°F. This could range anywhere from 35 to 45 minutes depending on your oven. Transfer the chicken to a serving dish. Cut the remaining lemon into wedges and arrange around the chicken.
- Cook’s Secret: Room temperature citrus such as lemons will yield more juice if rolled under your hands on a counter top first before cutting.
This recipe was featured on Season 21 - Episode 2117.