Chocolate Almond Cake from Capri / Torta Caprese
- 2 cups whole almonds, finely chopped
- 1/2 pound bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons Strega
- Confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter a 10 inch springform pan and line it with parchment paper. Butter the paper and set aside.
- Beat the butter with the sugar in a bowl until creamy.
- Beat the eggs in a separate bowl until light and lemon colored, then combine with the butter and sugar.
- Fold in the almonds and chocolate, then stir in the baking powder. Stir in the Strega.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake for about 50 minutes; it should still be moist but not wet in the center.
- Cool on wire rack, then remove sides of pan. Place cake on serving dish and dust heavily with confectioners’ sugar. Cut into wedges to serve.
This recipe was featured on Season 20 - Episode 2017.