Chocolate and Walnut Biscotti / Biscotti di Cioccolato ed Noci
Makes about 3 dozen
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups King Arthur unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces good quality milk chocolate (Callebeaut), coarsely chopped
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 325F.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Whisk the butter and sugar together in a large bowl until light an d fluffy. Whisk in the eggs, one at a time and blend well. Whisk in the vanilla.
- Use a wooden spoon and mix in the flour, baking powder and salt. Mix well. Stir in the chocolate and walnuts.
- Divide the dough and transfer half to each baking sheet. Flour your hands and pat the dough into a loaf that is about 12 inches long and 4 inches wide.
- Bake the loaves for 25 minutes or until the loaves are firm to the touch and lightly browned. Carefully transfer them to a cutting board and allow them to cool about 5 minutes. Use a sharp knife and cut 1/2-inch wide slices from each loaf. Return the slices to the baking sheets and bake an additional 10 minutes or until they are dry and nicely browned.
- Transfer the biscotti to cooling racks. Store airtight or freeze.