Chocolate and Walnut Biscotti / Biscotti di Cioccolato ed Noci
Makes about 2.5 dozen
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 2 Large eggs
- 1 tbsp Vanilla extract
- 2 cups All-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tspon Salt
- 1 cup Dark or milk chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup Walnuts, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 325F.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Whisk the olive oil or butter in a large bowl with the eggs until light and fluffy. Whisk in the vanilla.
- Mix in the flour, baking powder and salt. Mix well. Stir in the chocolate and walnuts.
- Divide the dough in half and on a lightly floured board, roll each half under the palm of your hands into a log about 10 inches long and 1inch wide. Transfer the logs to the parchment lined baking sheets and pat down slightly with your hands so the logs are even.
- Bake the logs for 25 minutes or until they are firm to the touch and lightly browned. Carefully transfer them to a cutting board and allow them to cool about 5 minutes. Use a sharp knife and cut 1/2-inch wide diagonal slices from each . Return the slices to the baking sheet and bake an additional 5 minutes or until they are dry and nicely browned.
- Transfer the biscotti to cooling racks. Store airtight or freeze.